Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Spirit of Erwin High--Marty Fullington


As everyone knows, it's been a tough few months for mine and Earl's family, with the many losses. But I have one more to add, not family, but a former teacher of mine at Erwin, Mr Fullington.
I was lucky enough to have him for English for 3 years, from 10th to 12th grade. He was a different kind of teacher--and if you ask any of his former students, he was the best. Ever. He never assigned an assignment that he didn't do right along side his students. Every essay we wrote, he did too. He genuinely cared for each of his students. He inspired them, he brought out the best in them, he celebrated their differences and unique talents, even if previous teachers were discouraging.
He also wouldn't let you get away with something less than your best. I remember a couple times he pulled me out of the middle of class with a recent assignment (which had a passing grade) and asking me, "What's going on? Are you having a hard time with this specific assignment? This isn't your usual standard of writing." Then I'd have to embarrasingly admit that I hadn't put much time into it, probably did it quickly that morning or crammed it in the night before. Geez, it felt terrible disappointing him.
He took many students under his wing, like family. I know some that had him at their wedding, some who used to be regular guests at his house, or vise versa.

When I was in 10th grade, I remember praying that I would get him again for 11th grade. He just made me want to do my best. In 11th grade, I begged him to take on AP English, since that's where I was going, but he refused. He said he was sticking with regular senior English. I was bummed. But it didn't stop me from begging. He was adament: No way. Then I show up for my first day of AP English, and guess who it is. Mr Fullington! I was estatic! AP English lasts the entire year, not just one semester, so I got a double dose of him that year.
He made me want to be a teacher. For a long time, that was my career goal. Not to be an English teacher, but to be a Wonderful English Teacher, like he was. I changed my mind eventually though, but never gave up on my love for writing, which he encouraged and nurtured, as he did with all his writing students.
He was also a music reviewer. Actually, one year we spent portion of our class time daily on students bringing in their own music choice with lyrics copied for the class, and we'd analyze them.
I know he was also in the Army, which you'd never guess by looking at him. ;-)
I could go on and on, but I'm being pretty selfish. But a blog like this comes in handy when you have so many wonderful things to share about how someone touched your life.
My prayers are with his family and loved ones at this tragic time.
Here's the link to the Asheville Citizen Times article on him, published today.
And a small tidbit about the memorials:
Remembering Marty Fullington
A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday in the gym at Erwin High.
A funeral service will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Cathedral of All Souls, 9 Swan St., Asheville. A celebration reception will follow the funeral in the church's parish.
Donations can be made to The Marty Fullington Scholarship Fund, 175 Bingham Road, Asheville NC, 28806.